Working From Home Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's how you can immediately improve your WFH experience.

If you have a desktop PC with a 4K, capable video card you should get as large a 4K display as you can fit. No need to spend more than $500 when there are 4K 55" TVs available for less. Whether a 32" monitor or a larger 4K TV, your eyes will thank you for giving them a nice, large, crisp screen to look at.

If you are using a laptop that is HDMI equipped, you might be tempted to skip the monitor. Don't. It's good for your eyes to not be focused at the same distance all day long. But more importantly, a large 4K display gives you a largervirtual desktop, which in turn makes work more efficient. The last thing you need is eye strain. Moreover, you can always disconnect and use your laptop somewhere else (couch, kitchen table) because it's healthy to move around. It's just when you are doing "heavy lifting" on your PC desktop (for example spreadsheet work) the extra space a large 4K display offers comes in handy.

My wife and each have a home office workstation. She is using a Samsung Space Monitor (4K, 32") and has her HP Spectre laptop set up as a second monitor when it's connected. She can add an iPad as a third screen using the Duet app. It's a standing desk from IKEA with motorized legs.

My workstation is centered around my work laptop, but also around a HTCP that I connect to 4K displays (projectors, TVs) and sometimes control using a virtual desktop on the laptop. I use an iPad Pro 12.9" with the Duet app for a second monitor, but when I want a big screen, I use a 4K TV (a 55" TCL 6 Series makes a great monitor, step-up to that is a Samsung QLED—they are very PC friendly TVs).

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am currently running a pair of dell 27" 144hz monitors running off the DPs of a 2070 Nvidia card. I had a 44" dell before the dogs decided chasing the cat was a great idea.
I also have a 17" laptop in the mix. I have the monitors on an Ergotron dual mount and the lap top on it's own mount.
Not sure if it has made me more productive or not, but the new monitors have reduced eyestrain quite a bit. I will get images up a some point, still buried in work. Currently under Isolation until Friday, have a minor necessary surgical procedure on Thursday. Fun times!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts